Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, or THPG, is the ninth installment in the Tony Hawk's series developed by Neversoft for the PS3 and Xbox 360 video game consoles; by Page 44 Studios for the PS2 and Wii; and by Vicarious Visions for the Nintendo DS. Online play was included in the Nintendo DS, PS3, and Xbox 360 versions of Tony Hawk's Proving Ground. It is the final game in the series to be developed by Neversoft, as the franchise was then replaced by Robomodo. It was released in October 15, 2007. It was also the last game of the main series of Tony Hawk games for 8 years until Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 in 2015.
Career skaters are the ones who make skateboarding look easy . Career skaters get Nail-The-Trick, Nail-The-Grab, and Nail-The-Manual (Nail-The-Manual is not present in the PS2 version, Wii version or the DS version). In TH's Proving Ground you are trying to get a team or earn skating spots or even making a shoe deal while in career mode.
Rigger skaters are the ones who use their environment to make skate ramps, rails, etc. Riggers can add new pieces to skate on to the environment with the Rig-A-Kit as well as have improved abilities of climbing and break & enter.
Hardcore skaters are the ones who do it for the love of the sport, and don't care for the media coverage. They get the Aggro moves which include Kick and Push. They can also "skate-check" pedestrians.
Nintendo DS and Wii / PS2 versions
The Nintendo DS verison of Tony Hawk's Proving Ground was developed by Vicarious Visions. In it's story mode, you are working towards becoming a career or hardcore skater. To do this you must complete different goals. These goals are career, hardcore, and neutral goals. After completing these goals you earn money which is used to fix up your skate park. Eventually after you complete enough goals, you get to meet a pro-skater. This pro-skater always has a goal, and after completing that goal you move on to the next level.
Online multi-player is no longer available despite using friend codes or not. The company behind the DS version has closed down the THPG DS community, although, the online THPG DS community website is still up.
Wii / PS2 version
In this version of THPG, you are still working towards becoming a Hardcore skater, Career skateboarder, or a Rigger. The only difference with the Xbox 360 and PS3 is that: it doesn't include online play, it doesn't have video editor (a feature present in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of THPG), nor does it include a skate lounge. Much of the voice acting in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions were taken out in this version. The Wii version featured motion controls for some actions in the game. Another difference from the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions is that it doesn't have the same game mechanics as the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions do.
- Tony Hawk
- Bob Burnquist
- Dustin Dollin
- Nyjah Huston
- Brian Kanights
- Jeff King
- Bam Margera
- Lance Mountain
- Rodney Mullen
- Jereme Rogers
- Arto Saari
- Ryan Sheckler
- Daewon Song
- Vanessa Torres
- Mike Vallely
- Stevie Williams
- MCA (unlockable)
- El Patinador (unlockable)
- Boneman (unlockable)
- TV Producer (unlockable)
- Spencer - One of your friends in the Career class. He tries to help you in shooting a video with Arto Saari.
- Mel - One of your friends in the Career Class. She is an aspiring photographer who joins you in taking magazine photos with Stevie Williams and Bryce Kanights.
- Rube - One of your friends in the Rigger Class. He joins you in creating skatable objects with Jeff King.
- Shayne - One of your friends in the Rigger Class. He helps in you getting payback on Bam Margera.
- Bosco - One of your friends in the Hardcore Class. He joins you in hitting some epic gaps with Mike V.
- Cooper - A photographer seen in the Hardcore Class. He is persuaded by Mike V into recording your attempts at epic gaps.
- Mad Dog - A hardcore skater who is seen hanging around bowls with Lance Mountain.
- Eric Sparrow - Eric returns from Tony Hawk's Underground and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 as your rivals in career mode.
- Cam - The Leader of the Crazy 21 gang, who try to make FDR skatepark their turf. With help from Dustin Dollin, you try to win it back.
- Eddie X - Your rival in the Hardcore Class, who tries to take all of the glory in the bowlriding circuit.
- Tony Hawk's Proving Grounds Soundtrack
- THPG Commercial
- Tony Hawk's Proving Ground on IGN
- Tony Hawk's Proving Ground review on IGN
- Tony Hawk's Proving Ground on GameSpot
- Tony Hawk's Proving Ground review for the DS on GameSpot
- Tony Hawk's Proving Ground review for the Wii on GameSpot
- Tony Hawk's Proving Ground review for the PS2 on GameSpot
- Tony Hawk's Proving Ground review for the Xbox 360 on GameSpot
- Tony Hawk's Proving Ground review for the PS3 on GameSpot
|Tony Hawk's Game Series|
|Pro Skater • Pro Skater 2 • Pro Skater 2X • Pro Skater 3 • Pro Skater 4 • Underground • Underground 2 • Underground 2 Remix • American Wasteland • American Sk8land • Project 8 • Downhill Jam • Proving Ground • Motion • Ride • Shred • Pro Skater HD • Shred Session • Pro Skater 5 • Skate Jam • Pro Skater 1 + 2|