Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X is a 2001 skateboarding game in the Tony Hawk's series. Developed by Treyarch and published by Activision under the 'Activision O2' sports brand, Pro Skater 2X is a re-release featuring the 19 levels from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Pro Skater 2, as well as five bonus levels created exclusively for the game. Some elements of the then-recently released Pro Skater 3 were included, along with new features. It was released exclusively in North America and Canada for the Xbox on November 15, 2001 as a launch title for the system.
- 3 types of Career Modes - THPS2, THP2X, and THPS1.
- 5 exclusive new levels
- Custom Soundtrack support
- 8-player System-Link support
- 4-player local multiplayer support
- Improved graphics (i.e. new lighting and particle effects, as well as updated models for the skaters and levels.)
- Motion Blur support
- 60 FPS
- A balance meter has been added for grind tricks
- Female skaters can now be made in Create-a-Skater, a feature carried over from Pro Skater 3.
- An updated menu interface compared to Pro Skater 2
- Club, London, United Kingdom
- Construction Site, Dallas, TX
- Skate Park, Tampa, FL
- Subway, New York City, NY
- Sky Lines, Detroit, MI
Career Mode begins as the standard career found in THPS2, keeping the original goals intact. Completing the THPS2 career will unlock the bonus '2X Career'. Once that is completed, the bonus 'THPS1 Career' is unlocked.
Full article: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 Soundtrack
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X features the original 15 songs from the soundtrack of Pro Skater 2, along with the addition for players to create their own Custom Soundtracks through the Xbox Dashboard.
THPS2X received positive reviews. The game was praised for it's improved graphics and it's value, however critics claimed that those who have played THPS1 and 2 a lot wouldn't miss out on anything, and those who had played THPS3 would find the game sluggish in comparison. The game's exclusive levels had a mixed reception; Jeff Gerstmann of GameSpot explained that "the [level] design is quite dull when compared with the standard set by the real levels". In Vincent Lopez's review on IGN he said "while the new levels are beautiful, they mimic the general size and architecture of Tony Hawk 2 levels... That's not to say they aren't great levels -- the construction yard is a dense, small structure with tons of vertical space to explore, and the Disco, while eerily empty, has a lot of tiny secrets that make it well worth unlocking."
THPS2X supports Xbox System-Link functionality, for up to 8 players. System-Link includes 3 modes:
- Trick Attack (Best score wins) - 8 players supported
- Graffiti (Who ever tags the most spots wins) - 4 players maximum
- Freeskate (No time limit / practice) - 8 players supported
- Some levels were partially reused later in both Underground titles, including Hangar and Philadelphia. The Tampa level in the first Underground reused the Tampa Skate Park seen in 2X as the location for the Tampa AM contest that Eric Sparrow and the player participates in.
- The Sky Lines level and the Construction Site level seemingly were partially recycled for use in the Rooftops level in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5.
- THPS2X allows you to toggle between two different "Views". By pressing the "Back" button during a run you are able to zoom in and out to adjust the view of your character from behind. The default setting for this option is always the "zoomed" option until changed.
- THPS2X is one of two Xbox Tony Hawk's that supports more than 4 players; The other being Underground.
- In the level Sky Lines , the other side of the giant billboard is an advertisement for Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer, another game from the 'Activision 02' brand of games. Kelly Slater would later be featured as an unlockable character in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3.
- THPS2X uses a detail texturing technique to improve most of the games textures.
- In the level Skate Park , there are posters outside on the wall of the metal structure that say 'Lost Dog' with a mugshot of a dog. If you get enough speed, you can use the loop to get onto the roof top. The southwest corner of the roof, from where the loop is, has a telephone line you can grind to get on the other roof. This roof has the missing dog lounging on a chair with some soda. Players can jump over the dog for a secret GAP.
- THPS2X features a unique camera lens flare effect, the first Neversoft game that used this effect was THUG2.
- THPS2X uses a special technique to draw three-dimensional grass. This technique was poorly reused in THPS4.
- THPS2X introduced a new motion blur effect that you could toggle on and off in the options menu. This feature would not be re-used until much later in the series.
- THPS2X replaced the unlockable character 'Private Carrera' with a skater called 'Trixie'. Unlike Private Carrera, Trixie cannot be unlocked with a cheat code. The player MUST complete all of the level gaps legitimately.
- In certain levels with speakers, like the Club and Marseilles when the skater skates towards the speakers and the music's playing, the camera shakes and the controller vibrates, representing the music blasting through those speakers.
- THPS2X allows you to spin/rotate "Special Tricks" such as "Indy-Frontflip" by using the "left" Joystick.
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD would later use the updated level models found in THPS2X.
|Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X levels|
|Hangar • School II • Marseille • NY City • Venice • Skatestreet • Philadelphia • Bullring • Chopper Drop • Skate Heaven • Club • Construction Site • Tampa Skate Park • Subway • Sky Lines • Warehouse • School • Mall • Chicago • Downtown • Downhill Jam • Burnside • San Francisco • Roswell|
|Tony Hawk's Game Series|
|Pro Skater • Pro Skater 2 • Pro Skater 3 • Pro Skater 4 • Underground • Underground 2 • American Wasteland • Project 8 • Proving Ground • Pro Skater 5
Downhill Jam • Motion • Ride • Shred • Shred Session
Pro Skater 2X • Underground 2 Remix • American Sk8land • Pro Skater HD • Skate Jam • Pro Skater 1 + 2