Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X
November 15, 2001
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X was developed by Treyarch and published by Activision under the 'Activision O2' sports brand.
THPS2X released on November 15th, 2001 in the United States and Canada as a launch title for the Microsoft Xbox as an apology for the delay of THPS3 on Xbox. THPS2X was not only exclusive to the Original Xbox but also NTSC regions. PAL and Asian-identifying territories (NTSC-J) were never given a release.
Unlike most re-releases, THPS2X actually keeps it's original content and music in-tact. Nothing has been removed except for the replacement of secret skater. (See Trivia)
New Features Edit
- 3 Career Modes
- Every level from THPS1 and THPS2 are included
- 5 brand new levels
- 8-player System-Link support
- 4-player Split-Screen (local multiplayer) support
- New lighting, particle effects and grass
- Improved graphics, updated models for players and levels.
- Balance Meter for grind tricks
- Ability to create a female in Create-a-Skater
- Support for custom soundtracks (play songs ripped to your hard drive)
- Updated interface/UI
- 60 FPS
- Motion Blur support
Legality Concerns Edit
A crucial part of any Tony Hawk game is the music. Thankfully, THPS2X still includes the original THPS2 soundtrack licenses and does not remove/replace any music. Spider-Man is also an unlockable character, still.
- Club, London, United Kingdom
- Construction Site, Dallas, TX
- Skate Park, Tampa, FL
- Subway, New York City, NY
- Sky Lines, Detroit, MI
Career Mode begins as standard THPS2. Completing the THPS2 career will unlock the bonus '2X Career' and completing the 2X Career will unlock the bonus 'THPS1 Career'. The standard levels featured many improvements, for example, 'Hangar' featured a control room that wasn't seen in any other Tony Hawk game except THPSHD. All of the levels have been revamped with higher polygons and upgraded textures. Characters and music quality have also been updated. Character models are based off of the Sega Dreamcast release.
THPS2X received positive reviews. The game was praised for it's improved graphics and it's value, however critics claimed that those who have played THPS1 and 2 a lot wouldn't miss out on anything, and those who had played THPS3 would find the game sluggish in comparison. The game's exclusive levels had a mixed reception; Jeff Gerstmann of GameSpot explained that "the [level] design is quite dull when compared with the standard set by the real levels". In Vincent Lopez's review on IGN he said "while the new levels are beautiful, they mimic the general size and architecture of Tony Hawk 2 levels... That's not to say they aren't great levels -- the construction yard is a dense, small structure with tons of vertical space to explore, and the Disco, while eerily empty, has a lot of tiny secrets that make it well worth unlocking."
System Link Edit
THPS2X supports Xbox System-Link functionality, up to 8 players. System-Link has 3 modes, not including 'horse', which is only for 2-4 players local (again..):
- Trick Attack (Best score wins)
- Graffiti (Who ever tags the most spots wins)
- Freeskate (No timelimit / practice)
Thanks to software like XLink Kai, THPS2X can still be played online in 2019. There is a very active and growing THPS2X online community.
- Some levels were partially reused later in both Underground titles, including Hangar and Philadelphia. The Tampa level in the first Underground reused the Tampa Skate Park seen in 2X as the location for the Tampa AM contest that Eric Sparrow and the player participates in.
- The Sky Lines level and the Construction Site level seemingly were partially recycled for use in the Rooftops level in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5.
- THPS2X allows you to toggle between two different "Views". By pressing the "Back" button during a run you are able to zoom in and out to adjust the view of your character from behind. The default setting for this option is always the "zoomed" option until changed.\
- THPS2X supports up to 8 players via System-Link whereas THPS3 only supports up to 4.
- In the level Sky Lines , the other side of the giant billboard is an advertisement for Kelly Slater's pro surfer, who was also an unlockable character in THPS3.
- THPS2X uses a detail texturing technique to improve most of the games textures.
- In the level Skate Park , there are posters outside on the wall of the metal structure that say 'Lost Dog' with a mugshot of a dog. If you get enough speed, you can use the loop to get onto the roof top. The south west corner of the roof, from where the loop is, has a telephone line you can grind to get on the other roof. This roof has the missing dog lounging on a chair with some soda. Players can jump over the dog for a secret GAP.
- THPS2X features a unique camera lens flare effect, the first Neversoft game that used this effect was THUG2.
- THPS2X uses a special technique to draw three-dimensional grass. This technique was poorly reused in THPS4.
- THPS2X introduced a new motion blur effect that you could toggle on and off in the options menu. This feature would not be re-used until much later in the series.
- THPS2X replaced the unlockable character 'Private Carrera' with a generic skater called 'Trixie'. Trixie cannot be unlocked with a cheat code. The player MUST complete all GAPS legitimately.
- THPS2X's manual says that Construction Site is located in California. This is an editing mistake.
- In certain levels with speakers, like the Club and Marseilles when the skater skates towards the speakers and the music's playing, the camera shakes and the controller vibrates, representing the music blasting through those speakers.
- THPS2X allows you to spin/rotate "Special Tricks" such as "Indy-Frontflip" by using the "left" Joystick.
- THPSHD uses the updated level models from THPS2X.
|Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X levels|
|Hangar • School II • Marseille • NY City • Venice • Skatestreet • Philadelphia • Bullring • Chopper Drop • Skate Heaven • Club • Construction Site • Tampa Skate Park • Subway • Sky Lines • Warehouse • School • Mall • Chicago • Downtown • Downhill Jam • Burnside • San Francisco • Roswell|
|Tony Hawk's Game Series|
|Pro Skater • Pro Skater 2 • Pro Skater 2X • Pro Skater 3 • Pro Skater 4 • Underground • Underground 2 • Underground 2 Remix • American Wasteland • American Sk8land • Project 8 • Downhill Jam • Proving Ground • Motion • Ride • Shred • Pro Skater HD • Shred Session • Pro Skater 5|